Tessie attended Hoopeston East Lynn High School from 1982-1986. While attending Hoopeston East Lynn,Tessie made a name for herself in the track and cross country arena. Some of her accomplishments include:
- 1985-86 Cross Country regional and sectional title holder
- 1985-86 Placed 6th in the 800m run at the Illinois State Finals
- 1985-86 Placed 1st in nearly all the 800m runs she participated in that year after injuring her leg the year before.
- 1986 Named the Student Athlete of the Year at Hoopeston East Lynn
- 1986 Co-Valedictorian of her class
Tessie earned numerous award and accolades during her tenure at Hoopeston East Lynn. She was even given the honor of acting as the “Jerky” at the 1986 State Basketball Finals.
Tessie went on to receive her bachelor’s degree from the University of Illinois and graduated Summa Cum Laude. She received her Master’s Degree from the University of Illinois in Entomology. In 1999, she received a degree as a medical doctor from the University of Illinois and completed her internship as a Family Practice Specialist in 2002.
Tessie currently lives in Monticello, Illinois, and practices as a staff physician at Carle Clinic Association in Monticello, Illinois.